Friday, December 13, 2013

Oh, Corbin...

A post by the momma:

I wasn't sure whether or not to blog about this, as we're still in an early, learning stage.  But, this blog has been the center of so much support and help, I couldn't not write.  So, here it is...

Corbin went to the vet last month for his annual exam and vaccines.  Things went well and we decided to divide his 5 vaccines up into 3 visits to be careful.  Last night was our second visit for two more vaccines.  I had noticed something funky going on with Corbin's left paw and Adam had noticed him holding it up a couple of times, so since we were there, I mentioned it to Dr. Mike.  He had noticed his foot as soon as he walked in and as I mentioned it to him and looked down at his paws, I noticed his right paw was kind of funky too...

Momma, don't get all Debbie Downer on my blog friends please...

Dr. Mike seemed to know right off that bat what was going on with his paws.  Corbin has stopped using the muscles in his feet that keep his toes together and his feet "upright."  He also noticed it slightly in his hind feet as well.  This could be caused by a number of things, but since we've recently increased his prednisone due to uncomfortable mornings, the prednisone could be what's causing this.  We've decided to decrease his dosage again, giving him just 5mgs once a day, but at night so it'll help him through the morning. 

We also did a full "senior" blood panel on him just to make sure other things are functioning correctly.  We're hoping this is something caused by the prednisone and with a decreased amount, he'll begin using those muscles again.  So, please send some positive thoughts his way and pray things turn around.  Otherwise, this is most likely something that will continue and possibly spread at an unknown rate.

Since Corbin's issues began January 2012, we knew with all of the steroids and his heart condition, we weren't going to have him forever.  I told myself realistically, we would be lucky if we got 8 years.  I was okay with that, as long as those 8 years were pain free and meaningful to Corbin.  He's enjoyed days at the lake and football Sundays at Grandpa Jack's with his girls.  Even though both things make him a bit achy for a day, he enjoys them and we let him enjoy himself.  The thought of having less than those 8 years is just a very heavy brick sitting on my chest.  I'm really trying not to get a head of myself and hoping things start looking better... but unfortunately the prednisone is something he needs to be comfortable.  And the side effects are what they are... we'll continue to do everything in Corbin's favor and everything possible to keep him comfortable every day.  Corbin has one of the best vets around.  A vet who knows him well, has such a dedication to his health and well being, pays such close attention to him and most importantly, trusts me. We're very lucky for Dr. Mike. 


Every day with him is a blessing and I'm so very lucky that this dog found his way into my life. 

27 comments:

  1. COOOOOOOORBIN!!!!!! Crap, I thoughted I had bad luck!
    Seriously, we are heres and we always wants to knows what be goin' on withs da Corbin. We send our megaton thoughts and love and hugs, and beer to all of ya'll. I knows Dr. Mike we deal everything in his power to makes da Corbin well.
    I just can't go with only 8 years...okays da tears is comin' nows.

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could offer advice, but I think all I can offer is love and hugs. We are thinking of you.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending our best wishes that the reduced dosage is the key. This is a sad post, but you all have the super love and I know you are packing every moment with that love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Max and Me are thinkin' of you Corbin and we is sendin' you are bestest boxer puppy prayers too. Hang in dere, you mean so much to all of us. xoxo

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae and Max

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Corbin! Happy, pain free days are what you deserve. Even though it makes your momma sad, I agree that keeping you feeling good every day that you are with her is more important than anything else.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Corbin! We are thinking you healing thoughts, but I agree with your Momma - quality of life is most important - and we know you all will enjoy every day to the fullest!

    -Dr. Liz and family

    ReplyDelete
  7. We agree with Dr Liz.......quality of life as important - making every moment count because no matter how many moments you get....each and ever one is special. We have our paws crossed and saying our prayers for the Corbie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All paws and fingers crossed for Corbin! Hugs to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Corbin is in our prayers and thoughts and we are sending him love and hugs and kisses (even the boys send kisses!). 2. This community is always here for you, never hesitate to lean. 3. Melvin and Corbin share more that just the "Oh". Melvin has been on prednisone, perhaps his whole life, certainly since age three when I got him. We are currently on 5mg a day. When we go up for allergy flair ups, his legs buck and his gait is wonky. So for the most part, I keep him at 5 unless we are talking severe allergy issues. The prednisones effect on Melvin is his liver. I know exactly what you are experiencing -- when your brain and heart and soul collide and worry that your already accepted shorter life for him might be even more brief than you thought. I had my mantra made into a sign, and you can steal it. When asked by the vet if I want his life to measured in years or quality I said, I want his life to be measured in Joy. I have a feeling Corbin has much more joy to come, but the prayers are still coming! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Corbin, you really have GOT to stop milking all this attention from the vet and your momma. I mean, I know it's good to be fussed over and all, but show some restraint! You shouldn't worry your momma so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are praying that Corbin goes back to normal. We are all here for you! Now get better!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you guys! We're going through some stuff with Sarge that has us thinking the same way...we thought we'd have more time with him. Hope all goes well for Corbin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Corbie BUDDY you MUST stop scaring us this way. Now start to use those Paws... Play some FUN Games with Amelia and get them going again. We have our paws crossed fur you buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pugsonally I think Corbin is the most wonderful dog around and I am honored to share Blogville with him. Hopefully the lower dosage of pred will keep him painfree AND diminish the side effects. I am pulling for you Corbin, every day and every way.
    Love Noodles

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your momma and Dr Mike are going to do the absolute best for you, Corbin, because they love you. We're crossing paws here too. We ♥ you, buddy~

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  16. All my feets are crossed for you sweet Corbin
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our Angel Nina was on a low dose of prednisone for many years due to allergies and she lived to be 14. You just never know what or how long you will get, but we give them the best they can have.

    ReplyDelete
  18. lots of good thoughts and prayers for Corbin!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Corbin I am sending you all the positive thoughts, care and love I have. You are special and I can't help but love you myself. Tell Mom not to worry that all of us are on the job now sending you good thoughts and vibes. Be well Handsome Boy!! Tell Amelia to give you special snuggles and let you have all the NOMS first.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Howdy Corbin, we'll keep paws crossed for ya mate. Your Vet sounds like a great guy and between him and your mum, things will work out fine. Sending smoochies to you Studly. Take care and try not to worry Corbin's mum. No worries, and LOVE, Stella and Rory

    ReplyDelete
  21. We've got our paws crossed, too. We completely understand where you're mum's coming from and know you're in the best hands.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Corbin, we love you pal and send you are super best purrs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lots of hugs and prayers coming your way for you and for Corbin. Don't get ahead of yourself, one day at a time. We will cross our paws for the change in the meds regimen to help Corbin. All paws crossed.

    Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, Corbin, my furiend I'm sorry to hear about your ouchies. I'm certain your dogtor will work this out for you and I'm sending you all of my love, support and healing vibes to help you feel better. Power of the Paw is amazing and I know you feel our love.
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, Furiend

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm sorry things aren't going so well right now. I really hope the vet can figure out what it is be it the pred. or something else. We'll be thinking about you in the mean time!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am sending you guys tons and tons of love

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I do be sorree yoo is not feelin da best my pal....az yoo kno i eart did not last long but i fink yoo is much tuffer than me an will be arownd fur kwite a while yet....and i just whisper that i kwite like hazzin I paws up on da sofa...

    ReplyDelete