Monday, April 6, 2015

Amelia: 2 years

A post by the momma:

Our journey began with a text message. On Thursday, April 4, 2013 I received a text message from my rescue partner in Kentucky. "There's a female pit bull at one of the other shelters. She's a shelter favorite, but her time is up. She's good with other dogs and good with people. Will you take her?"
     
When I received the text, we had Serena, our beautiful white husky, filling up the foster spot in our home. I should have said no, but I didn't.  I had a million reasons to say no, but my response was yes. I said yes and Amelia's life was saved with just minutes to spare.  The next day, she was loaded onto a van with 20+ other dogs and headed to New York.
    
Her shelter picture, which I didn't see until after I agreed to take her in.
    
I was late getting to the rescue for transport that day. All the dogs were already unloaded and all the volunteers were deep in the process of checking medical records and getting tags on all the new dogs. As I walked up, a friend shouted "Wait until you see her!" And, there she was. Tail high in the air and ears pricked forward. Eager to figure out what this new journey was. I shouted back "omg, I love her!" And, that I did.
  
The first picture I took of her.
  
As luck would have it, a couple who previously met Serena came back to the adoption clinic and adopted her. I said good bye to our blue eyed beauty and concentrated on our newest foster. Amelia was so loveable and sweet, I simply couldn't imagine her staying with us too long. After the adoption clinic, I loaded her up into the car and drove home. I called Adam a few blocks away to start our introduction process with a new dog. Some of you who have been following us a long time know that Corbin isn't dog friendly. We have an extensive introduction process that allows us to successfully bring new dogs home.
  
As I got Amelia out of the car, I realized her journey wouldn't be as easy as the last few hours led me to believe. She shut down with Corbin and refused to get close to our house.  Doorways, hallways, stairs... they were all something extremely scary to her.
  
Our typical foster picture. 
  
After we got her in the house, we gave her space to figure things out. Little things made me so happy. I remember the first time she walked down the hallway alone and peeked her wide eyes into our bedroom. The first time she walked through a door way without pancaking to the floor. The first time she ran in the yard. The first time she got on the couch by herself. Her first true smile. She's had so many milestones in the past two years.
    
     
Somewhere deep down, I had such a love for this dog. She was so amazing and so brave and so trusting. It was an instant "I want to keep her!" And we had the conversation many times, but always concluding that keeping such a perfect, wonderful dog would be selfish... and that we should keep our home open for the Corbin's of the world. The hard to place dogs who might not have a chance without our home. But, the months went by and no applications came in for her... and all the sudden we hit the year mark and still, not a single application.  It was 14 months before we signed the paperwork to make her an official part of our family. There was just no way I could live without her.

Our Diva.
  
Amelia continues to surprise me everyday. She's so welcoming of new fosters and so understanding of their hesitation. She takes the time to build their trust and tries to snuggle them so they don't feel alone. It's been amazing to watch her blossom and see her confidence build each and every day. And, most importantly, her love with Corbin is truly an amazing site. I've never seen two dogs so in love with each other. 

Meant for each other. 
  
I don't know what scary things happened in her past, but my heart is filled with joy knowing every moment of her future will be filled with more love than she can handle.  Thank you, Amelia... thank you for choosing us, for loving us, for teaching us. You have been an amazing part of the last two years and the perfect puzzle piece to complete our little family.

19 comments:

  1. I think all of blogville knew she was was yours and wanted you to keep right from the start - she was just meant to be by your side and that is all there was about it. We all breathed a big sigh of happiness when you finally agreed with the rest of us :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is where she was always meant to be.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post. Amelia is right where she belongs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy BIRFDAY to you Amelia. We KNEW you were going to be with Corbie for EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy rescueversary, Amelia! I knew right away you were MEANT for the Corbin House. Congrrats on finding your pawfect family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy rescueversary, Amelia! I knew right away you were MEANT for the Corbin House. Congrrats on finding your pawfect family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so happy she is with you guys
    Snorts
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think she is exactly where she was meant to be. Happy Adoptiversary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful story. We had many of those issues with Sebastian when he first found us. He was frightened of so many things that he now takes for granted. He makes me smile every day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truly a match made in Heaven.
    Love Noodles

    ReplyDelete
  11. You found the perfect forever family, Amelia, and we couldn't be more happy for you! Happy Gotcha Day!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Amelia you got an amazing forever family.
    xo Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary Amelia, you are all so lucky to have each other.


    Loveys Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are happy that you have found each other. Happy Annversary Amelia! Enjoy many more adventures with Corbin and your furever family.

    Love,
    Piappies Fudgie, Princess, Frappie, Mocha, Sugar, Wai-Max, Wai-Pai & Forgie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhhhhhhhh, so in love with all things her, and you and Corbin!!!! Love rules!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love foster failures. Amelia knew where she belonged as did my Boca.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We saloot yoo my pals....iz good hazzin yoo all az I pals

    ReplyDelete
  18. I couldn't love this more! <3 Love these two together soo much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I came to visit your blog today to say farewell to Corbin...who I didn't know before today. Then I read some more and saw Amelia and Corbin together and the love in your eyes, too and hope that she can help you through the loss of Corbin, as you loved him both...

    ReplyDelete