Friday, September 13, 2013

Foster Friday: On loving Amelia

A post by the momma:

I know, Foster Friday's you expect to hear from our foster dogs, not about our foster dogs. But, Amelia has had many foster Fridays and I thought today I would take a moment and tell you a little about Miss Amelia from my perspective.


Many of you have fallen in love with Amelia as she's presented on the blog. I must confess to you, you'd be even more in love with her in person. I also know many of you are, not so secretly, hoping that we make the decision to adopt her. And, there are others that understand our fostering journey -but I'm sure, even those of you, are secretly hoping we adopt her. Some day I hope we'll make that decision, too... but I still believe Amelia's perfect forever home is out there. A home that can give her more than we can and one that will allow us to help others in need of saving. I haven't given up yet.


I've blogged about how entwined she is in our lives, how perfectly she fits in and how easy it would be to see her soulful honey eyes and feel her heart to heart snuggles every morning for the rest of her life. It's been such an amazing journey to watch her conquer the world in the 5 months that we've had her. She came to us scared, fearful and unsure of this big scary world. Since April, she has blossomed into this strong, confident, happy dog and it has filled my heart to watch it happen.
 
 
There's something just so amazing about Amelia. Something so comforting. The past few weeks have been emotionally difficult for a number of reasons. When I start to get overwhelmed and anxious, my energy feeds off onto Corbin, making him anxious and nervous -like most men who don't know how to react when a woman gets upset. I try my best to hide my anxiety, but some days... well, I'm just flat out overwhelmed and there's no hiding it. He either retreats to his crate or tries his best to fit his entire body on my chest and submerge my face in his slobber. Amelia, on the other hand, seems to sense that anxiety from me, and instead of feeding off of it, she comes to soothe it. She'll lay quietly by my side with her soft little head so gently on my lap. Imagine having your best girlfriend by your side all the time. I can tell her anything, she doesn't judge. She doesn't tell me what decision I should make. She won't look at me as if I'm being careless with the decisions I do make with my life. She just rests her head there and looks up at me with those big, beautiful eyes and says "it'll all be okay." And, I believe her.


It's easy to see that Amelia is a beautiful dog. But, to get to know her and see her inner beauty... that's when she takes on a glow like no other. She beams happiness and love, thankfulness and joy. And, I would love nothing more than to keep her all for myself. But, it would also fill my heart to see her complete someone else. To become the dog that someone else needs. I'm lucky enough to have Corbin, he completes me and fills my heart with joy more and more every day. I don't know where I'd be with out him, the lessons that would have went unlearned had he not entered my life. I would hate to take those life lessons and enrichment away from someone else. Amelia is quite the special dog... her personality is that of spunk and unconditional love. I just know she'll be the prefect piece for someone's life.


I'm so glad that Amelia came into our home and into our lives. She reminds me of trust and courage and how the two go hand in hand. I see her trust every time she comes to what she perceives as a scary situation... looking up to me as if to say "well, if you really think this is a good idea, I guess I'll give it a try." And, I see her courage when she takes those next few steps and watch the worry fade from her expression. Over the months, her courage has turned into confidence and her worry into strength. Though, she still has her moments of uncertainty, she is world's away from where she began.
 
 
I feel so lucky that we've had the privilege to know Amelia, to help her and to love her. And, whether her time with us is temporary or permanent... I'll enjoy every moment.

23 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, heartfelt post. It makes me love Amelia even more. Where ever her journey takes her, I'm sure she will be that piece to complete some family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So in love with every single word. LOVELY, just like your girl. There is something very special about a dog that handles emotional moments by leaning in and nurturing. Love, love, love her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful and loving post. Our fosters sometimes just "worm" their way into our hearts and families. You have done a fantastic job of helping Amelia and of course Corbin to become more balanced and know life is good..so much better than what was. When a family or person comes along and a connection is made between them and our foster...it is hard on our hearts But awesome at the same time. Thank you for all you do...the dogs you help (in my happy place) will always remember your kindness.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a truly beautiful post and has made my eye leak uncontrolled, and I'm at work thank you very much. I really can understand all that you are saying as a foster myself I deal with that decision process all the time. There is truly something extra special about Amelia and the fact that you haven't had been lining up in mass numbers to adopt her is clearly beyond my understanding. I know that whatever happens it will be the perfectly right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OoH Momma Jenn,

    Our mom just LUVS sweet Amelia and mom is so happy dat her gets to see Amelia in da furs from time to time. Someday her perfect furever peeples will find her, in da mean time sweet Amelia is right where her belongs. Hi to Corbin and Amelia!

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae and Max

    ReplyDelete
  6. She'll be a very hard one to let go as she has settled in with you all nicely. It would definitely break your heart to let her go after all this time. But i understand what you said about fostering. I helped at shelters on weekends too.. but i don't foster. Because i know i won't be able to let them go. I'll end up with tons of cats and dogs at home. *LOL* I am weak that way. Hopefully someone fine and wonderful will be coming for Amelia one day. If not... keep her. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written - reading it - I can see how amelia is the other side - it is ying and yang with corbie and her. He feels your stress - she soothes it. He's a he dog and she is the typical she dog. Seems to me you have the perfect whole there. I can see how you want to keep her and also how you want to find someone one else to love her - but what about Amelia - what does she want? She has come to love and trust you and to suddenly place her in a new home - what impact will that have? It is the downside of fostering sometimes - that you become too attached or the dog does and neither is an easy issue to resolve. We know you will make the right decision when the time is right - hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Corbin's Mommy. I think Amelia is a reflection of your love. She is like a sponge, taking in every drop you hand out to her. I hope, as you do, that one day she takes all that love you shared with her and pays it forward to someone new. I agree, that someone is out there and doesn't yet know it. I will keep sending out the positive thoughts for Amelia.
    Love Noodles

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was truly beautiful! I am almost at a loss of words. It is so inspiring and incredible to see how Amelia has blossomed and become the dog she was meant to be.
    I know it is hard making a decision to let her go to her forever home...but I know you and I know in your heart you will never do what is not in best interest. And taking on another dog may not be in the best interest for the Corbin so I know you have to weigh that as well.
    What ever you decide I will support you.

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely girl. At least whatever the future holds for her, she'll be loved and safe.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I love this pup even more, she's such a sweetheart. And, this is a beautiful post about her. I'm sure she'll make someone (maybe even you) the perfect companion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post! We love you, Amelia ♥

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post. Golden LOVE to you and Amelia. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful post. Your heart is all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is wonderful. You can see it in her eyes that she is just very special!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm one of the ones who not-so-secretly hope that you keep Miss Amelia. I know she's happy with you, and I also know that you love her. If she does find a furever home, she's gonna be hard to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amelia sounds like a wonderful dog and very much a part of your family, whether she stays forever or not. I am happy to say we are foster failures with our fourth dog, Lady. She was a HW positive lab mix on borrowed time in a kill shelter. We decided to keep her after 5 months of adoption days and efforts to find her the perfect forever home. I'm sure she wondered why we kept taking her to all these places, when she knew she was already home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful post. While I not-so-secretly hope you adopt her, I am just glad that she has been there to help you heal during a tough time in your life. Hang in there, hun.

    Emily @ Our Waldo Bungie
    www.ourwaldobungie.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe no one has snatched her up!!!

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Careful der mom....da werld will we wantin to adopt yoo if yoo is not careful....you haz a big heart my pal

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a truly beautiful post. Amelia is such a wonderful soul. Yes, I am one of those "secretly" hoping that she stays with you but the fact that you are willing to consider giving her up actually makes me admire you even more. Keep loving her while she's with you!

    ReplyDelete